Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Homemade Christmas

Growing up my parents had a tradition of letting us pick one gift to open on Christmas Eve.  One year, I opened a camera case, but without the camera!  I knew what I was getting, but I was a bit upset not to be able to use the camera that I knew was coming. 

My husband didn’t have this tradition and he was worried that the same thing would happen, we didn’t want them to just pick anything from the pile of presents.  Then, when my oldest was four, I heard of the tradition of doing pajamas for Christmas Eve.  For the last four years I have made my girls pajamas for Christmas Eve and they wear them ALL the time.  They usually wear them all day on Christmas.  They are very loved, and it makes me happy to make them. 

This year though, they had a LOT of pajamas in their drawers.  They are overflowing, so I decided to branch out.  This year they were looking forward to wearing new pajamas, but were surprised when they opened up their new robes.  As my oldest daughter said “now I don’t have to wear a blanket around me when I am cold, I can just put on a robe.”  I should have done this years ago.

So here they are on Christmas morning wearing their new robes.P1030806

P1010078P1030816P1010073

Not everything was homemade, but besides the robes they did get pajama bottoms that matched, but the biggest homemade gift is the one played with the most.  A large box full of homemade plush Angry Birds that my friend and I made.  She made half and I did half.  Each girls got 3 birds, a pig, and two eggs for each girl.  They have come up with all sorts of ways to play Angry birds.

Here are a few of the pictures of them with the new Angry birds, before they started the war between birds and pigs.

P1030818P1010083

P1010081

2 comments:

  1. I recognize those fabrics, thanks for the blanket and burp cloths. Hilde just asked me if we can make the angry birds too, she says they are awesome. Did you buy a pattern somewhere? It looks like at some point I am going to be forced to buy a sewing machine because my little girl loves to make things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shells - I am glad you like the blanket and burp clothes. I only wish I could have come to meet your newest addition. As for the pattern for the angry birds, it was online for free, and they was pretty easy. The red bird pattern is at http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot.com/2010/12/angry-birds-plush.html

    and the others are at

    http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot.com/2010/12/angry-birds-plush-green-white-black-and.html

    We took the pattern and sewed the faces on with the paper attached to make sure they were aligned properly, then took the paper off. For me the hand stitching on of the beaks, buggy eyes, and tails were the hardest part. Luckily my friend Jennifer helped with the pigs which were the most time intensive of them all. The larger were also easier than the smaller ones. If you make them, post pictures, I would love to see the creations.

    ReplyDelete