Thursday, May 31, 2012

Endeavour Cultural Fair

Alicia came home a few weeks ago wanting to be part of the school cultural fair.  Friends were talking about parents from Mexico, the Ukraine, or even the Caribbean.  No fear, Alicia knew exactly where our culture is from.  She said “we are from Utah, right.”  When I asked, “who is from Utah” she said, “Well mommy you were born and raised there.”  WHAT!  We had to have a geneology lesson right then and there, got out my PAF files, and showed how dad’s family is mostly Canada and Germany, my side is Norway, England, and Switzerland.  We are a mixture of many cultures, so we didn’t end up doing a voluntary cultural fair board, but we did support those who did.

While we waited for the musical portion of the fair, the kids ate various foods from many countries.  We had already had dinner, but they still tried lumpia, seaweed, churros, burritos, pineapple soda, hard candies from Ukraine, soy milk drinks, sweet breads from Switzerland and delicious cookies from Norway. 

Once they ate enough foods, they tried to make face masks, used in many cultures.  I am not sure where Olivia’s mask originates from.

OHOP Village field trip 034

OHOP Village field trip 032

The musical portion included a bagpiper.

bag piper

and drummers from Hedden Elementary

OHOP Village field trip 031

and a Native American dance with Tabatha’s friend Jody.  Here Jody is in her costume standing with Mrs. Bayliss, Tabatha’s teacher.

Jody&Bayliss

It was a lot of fun.  We should join next year, but not sure what “culture” to showcase.  Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. That is so sunny that she thought you were from Utah! I wonder where she got that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think somehow she thought that since I went to college in Utah, I must have lived there for a really long time. She now knows that is not the case. I can see why she is confused, Ken grew up moving all the time, so he doesn't have one place to call his hometown. At least my girls can say they grew up in one city.

    ReplyDelete