Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ken’s 20 years of Service–and conquering my fear of heights.

 

WdPkZooVerticalWorld 158

Congratulations to Ken!  He has been at Alaska Airlines for 20 years.  To celebrate he was allowed a small allowance to do something with his team at work, and he decided to go to Vertical World in Ballard. 

So Ken, myself, and 8 of his co-workers climbed the walls of an indoor climbing gym.  If you can’t tell, Ken loved it.  He went up at least 6 times during our two hours there. 

WdPkZooVerticalWorld 164

WdPkZooVerticalWorld 167 

Ken had gone two years ago, and decided he needed more of a challenge, so he did some rock climbing where it jutted out.  After he did it, four men from his team tried it out as well.  I wasn’t one of them.

WdPkZooVerticalWorld 172

Corina, one of his co-workers, is on the left in this shot while Ken is on the right.  The staff at Vertical World were wonderful, we had two dedicated people to help us climb, show us what hand or foot holds to go on next, and it was a great two hours.

But I am not a rock climber.  In fact, I really don’t like heights in general.  So for me to climb was a way to try to conquering my fear.  The only problem is that by the end of my first climb (on the easy wall that slopes in instead of out) my leg was literally shaking.

WdPkZooVerticalWorld 154 

The man helping me encouraged me to try again, so the second time around the wall didn’t slope nearly as much, and was a harder climb.

WdPkZooVerticalWorld 161

I did one last climb in the corner of the two walls, but I never tried any of the harder walls Ken did.  I was just so glad I got the chance to climb for the first time.  The walls were all the same height up, just some leaned in, out, or even across the ceiling for those who are true rock climbing enthusiasts.  Now we are planning a trip Memorial Day to rock climb outside with some friends who have the equipment.  They even have outfits small enough for Olivia.  I’m not sure what I got myself into, but for now I am excited for our new family activity.

WdPkZooVerticalWorld 152

No comments:

Post a Comment