On September 1st, right before Labor Day, Ken and I broke down and bought our very first carpet cleaner. Little did we know that only two days later we would find out that we didn’t need to worry about making our ugly brown mottled carpet last, but that we would be living with no flooring at all in areas for over a month.
How it started was a large puddle in our dinette area. We have always had carpet there, and we assumed that the girls had spilled water, and we noticed it the day after we bought the carpet cleaner so we were excited to use the cleaner to fix the spill. The spill surprised us, but not enough to worry. It happens with all kids. So on Monday, the 3rd, we got out the cleaner since the towels weren’t working.
Ken went over the area 4 or 5 times with the cleaner just sucking up liquid, and it kept filling up with thick, dark, sludgy water. It was disgusting, and we thought maybe something besides water was spilled.
After Ken went over the carpet numerous times, we figured it was done, but the water kept coming back. That is when we lifted the carpet and found the pad under the floor so wet that the sludge was from 30 years of wear and tear coming up sopping wet. We pulled up the carpet and pad, and checked for a leak. We found it behind the refrigerator. The water line somehow sprung a little hole that was allowing water to spray all over the wall, under the linoleum, and under the carpet in the dinette area and dining room. Ken even found that under the floorboards under the house was so soaked with water that the insulation attached to the floor was falling off.
We called the insurance company when things weren’t drying up, and they took up all the flooring in the kitchen and dinette area, half the carpet in the dining room, and took drywall off of the wall in the kitchen behind the fridge. Then we had to live with loud, noisy fans for a week.
The good news is that they would replace the carpet in the whole house. We decided that if we were getting new carpet and floors that we would paint first. We painted several areas, including the master bedroom, several closets and the hallway, and touched up various areas that had scuffs and marks. We also went to numerous places to pick out new carpet and laminate, figured out the costs involved and decided that with everything else going on, that we would pay for new carpet downstairs too that would match the rest of the house.
So after a month of deciding, painting, drying out and waiting, we finally got our new floors and we feel like we have a new house. So here are some before pictures:
This is the subflooring, not comfortable and caused loud echos in that area.
Tearing up downstairs.
We found a second leak while dealing with the first here in the hallway. It ended up being a leak from the master bath that went under the wall out to the hall. Luckily a few fans over the week-end cleared that out.
Here is the old carpet next to the new.
Here is the new bedroom floor and paint. Our bedroom was the last to be finished, because we found a third (yes third) water damage spot in the middle of the master closet. We think it was a water bottle, at least we hope it was, because after the third set of fans came in it dried up quickly (only 2 or 3 days, but we kept the fans on 3 just in case). It looks so much better that we kept the closet doors off so that it looks more spacious now.
The hallway.
Living Room
Dining Room
Kitchen
Family Room
and downstairs. We knew the girls liked the new carpet when they decided to roll around on it to feel how soft it is. Then the laminate became the new sliding area. They are loving having the house back together. We will be enjoying this new floor for a long time.
Are you backposting? Is this why I never see your new posts???? I am so confused...
ReplyDeleteBut on to better things- the house looks GORGEOUS! Absolutely GORGEOUS! I can wait to see it for real- I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
I do backdate my posts. I get so far behind anymore that I do it in order to know when things happened when I do eventually get a blog book. If it helps, I always plan to keep up and I think I am at least caught up at the moment. I will also be adding my posts to Facebook once in awhile so that you know when I have updated a bit.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the compliments, we are very happy with how things turned out.
The house looks amazing! It's so sad to hear of all the things that happened but the final results are great. I hope you all get to enjoy this for a long, long time.
ReplyDeleteI have been catching up on all my blog posts too, so fun to see yours! The house turned out really nice.
ReplyDelete